Environmental Health Division of Honiara City Council with the Works Division provides simple sanitary facilities (toilets) for safe disposal of human waste in peri-urban communities in Honiara.
We have two types of toilets for communities: squatting and riser slab. A bucket of water is used to remove waste down the pit.
The price of squatting slab is $100.00 and riser slab is $500.00. Riser slab is constructed on request only as plastic bowl and seal are not normally available.
Advantages of simple sanitary facilities are:
- It is cheap
- Does not smell as the slab is properly sealed
- Can build close to a dwelling house
- Easy to wash and keep clean at all times
- Free of rodent and mosquito breeding as the latrine is properly sealed
- Riser slab is recommended for old people with knee problems and disabilities
Sanitation Facilities Installation
Sanitation facilities can be installed in any peri-urban community once request is made to Environmental Health Division. However, pit and other materials must be ready before request can be made for installation of slabs.
Ordinary pit and Ventilated Improved Pit latrines (with pipe) are not allowed in the city boundary as they can give out odour nuisance when not properly constructed.
For further information please visit our office at Environmental Health Division at Honiara City Council at 28295.